Single Mother Info

Resources, Assistance and General Information for Single Moms

Rental Assistance for Single Mothers

Rent an Appartment

Housing is almost always the major expense for single mothers, many of whom have multiple children and are relying on only one income and/or child support payments to make it.

That’s why it’s crucial to identify sources of rental assistance for single mothers in your area, as well as national organizations that can help take some of the sting out of that monthly rental payment.

Organizations for Rental Assistance

Here are several approaches to obtaining the rental assistance that you need:

  • The Salvation Army has branches in every state and works hard to connect single mothers to financial aid programs and rental grants that are available, in addition to providing temporary housing to those in dire need. This group also can give emergency rental funds for a period of up to two years and provide mediation with landlords if you are having trouble making your monthly payments. The Army also offers programs to help single moms work towards self-sufficiency, with an emphasis on character development and skill acquisition to increase the chances of being employed. Budgeting skills, credit counseling and money management are also offered by qualified teachers through the Salvation Army.
  • Catholic Charities is another national group that has a soft spot for single mothers and works hard to find affordable housing for them. CC also emphasizes self-sufficiency and offers classes to help single mothers attain that.
  • The Nurturing Network can help single moms who have had unplanned pregnancies to find rental assistance and other forms of aid.
  • CoAbode is a non-profit agency that links single parents together to share expenses. Careful screening is done to ensure the best chance of compatibility. Single moms that share rent and utility bills find that they can afford much more house and space as they split the bills with another single mother.
  • Section 8 Housing is a strong federal program offered through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) that gives single mothers vouchers for rent while paying the majority of the rent to the landlord. Single moms can choose any housing approved by HUD and pay as low as double digits in rent each month, an amazing bargain.
  • If your house has been damaged by a natural disaster, FEMA can provide temporary assistance until your home is repaired and can be inhabited again.
  • Nearly 1.2 million individuals live in public housing offered through HUD. The amount that you pay in rent is based entirely on your income and the number of dependents that you have.
  • The YWCA is in many cities and supports single moms in crisis with rental assistance.

To get federal aid, you will need to fill out an application and have references that will state you are a good tenant. You also must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to get this assistance. Go to the HUD website,, for more information. You will need to visit your county’s local housing authority to fill out an application.

Be sure to bring your several forms of identification and proof of income when you go to apply, as well as current information on past landlords and who will be living with you in your new dwelling.